FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question for FT's TAs!
View Single Post
Old Oct 27, 2013, 12:34 pm
iruvmattree

Originally Posted by ReduceTC
Even if you book directly with the airline, they will not ask him for a credit card.
Booking on Travelocity is a big waste of time and money, if he is flying business class, then you are missing gout on commissions .
I own a travel agency , we do a lot of corporate travel - if you want , reach out to me and we can talk, I am sure we can come to some arrangement to max your profit and I can send you a 1099 , so you don't have to worry too much about taxes.
I will PM you, but he's not allowed to fly anything but coach. I've read differently, that several people have been asked to show credit card if they booked direct.

Originally Posted by ft101
Asking to see the credit card used to book a flight is a regular occurrence in some countries or with some airlines.

Saying they will not ask him for a credit card is incorrect unless you know his itineraries, especially as the OP seemingly intends to use his/her personal card to book the flights.
Exactly, I don't plan on making much money off him, but I'd love the spend

Originally Posted by JerryFF
I was in exactly the same situation - a faculty member who had a travel consulting business on the side. Several things - first, for a simple domestic trip, $50/leg is way out of the ballpark for the going rate. I charge $35 for a domestic round trip and $50 for an international one. If there are other requirements, you can add on.

Second, and maybe even more important, many universities, especially public ones, have conflict of interest rules that are very strict. As an employee of the university, you may be forbidden from charging a fee to another university employee. The university looks at such transactions as giving you, the employee, unfair advantage over non-university travel agents in obtaining the business of another university employee. Be sure to check with your accounting dept or HR dept before you start.
Thanks for this baseline. I think I'll start with asking for something like $25/$50 domestic/international, but be willing to go down to $15/$25, as TH310 mentioned. I'm actually nothing but a recent alumnus of the university, so I don't think your second point will effect me.

Originally Posted by tcook052
It's not as easy as it appears and there is far more to the job than simply booking tickets such as entry & visa requirements, travel insurance, FFP/FFM, etc. that will all take time. Frankly making $5 - $20 per ticket and spending what could be hours in research and booking isn't a great pay off IMHO.
I'm currently interviewing for jobs, so my schedule is pretty much wide open and uneventful. I'd much rather be booking for free than playing Candy Crush on Facebook, as so many of my notifications tell me my peers are doing. I hadn't considered the logistics of visas nor travel insurance so much.

Last edited by JY1024; Oct 28, 2013 at 9:26 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts - pls use multi-quote feature