FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA Today: Phoenix airport screening draws angry complaints
Old Oct 26, 2013, 11:20 am
chollie
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I actually find gsoltso's post about no specific rules on 'assistive device' weight/length at his airport or some unnamed others he reached out to very unsettling. This is the first time I have been skeptical of his information.

1) I believe what eyecue posted about DEN is true.

2) I'm surprised that gsoltso didn't/couldn't turn to HQ for a definitive answer, particularly because we're talking about SSI SOP. I didn't think that was supposed to vary so much from airport to airport - I thought it was the actual practice, the famous "screener's discretion" that was allowed to vary from screener to screener.

At this point, all that is certain is that there are, in fact, SSI SOP rules on this matter - but apparently only at some airports.

It also appears that although pax with medical/disability concerns are referred to "TSA Cares" (presumably an HQ program), there is no similar HQ resource available for screeners looking for 'best practices' guidance or clarification of rules. I wonder if "TSA Cares" even has such a resource - it would be strange to offer that information to pax but not make it available to screeners.

No wonder it's so confusing. Screener discretion regarding unpublished and widely varying rules, with few if any fixed standards regarding disability and medical issues - that's completely crazy.

Last edited by chollie; Oct 26, 2013 at 11:28 am