FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA Today: Phoenix airport screening draws angry complaints
Old Oct 26, 2013, 8:46 am
chollie
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by gsoltso
First of all, thanks for the kind words and for being respectful, I truly appreciate it. Second, I have checked with my SOP gurus here and at other locations nationwide through my network, and I have found no indication of specific measurement requirements as to length or size on the walking sticks/canes. Third, I tend to stay away from suggesting specific forms of redress without having all the information from both sides - which I do not in the Armato case. Based entirely on what I have read in the articles, I think that the situation could have been handled much better, and some form of redress should have taken place (and for all we know, it may have and we just don't know about it) - barring some information that would justify what happened (which would be a pretty high bar to hit IMHO).

+1 in your interpretation of my other post.

Your response exemplifies some of the problems pax face, doesn't it?

On this forum, we have two posters who self-identify as TSOs, two posters that I think most on this forum would agree really are who they say they are.

One says (read the thread yourself) that there are rules in place governing the length and weight of walking sticks/canes, aka 'assistive devices'. Specific rules that are not available to the public but that are in force. This TSO confirmed with one of the supervisors involved in the incident (pictured in a photo) what took place and why.

The other says that there are no such rules in place at his airport or others that he has checked with (did that include DEN?).

In other words, the actor in question still has no way of knowing in advance if his cane will be allowed, disallowed, or conditionally ('just this once') allowed (assuming he questions the ruling, as he did) when he approaches the airport.

I know how he feels, because, contrary to what you suggest should have happened, my nitro pills were confiscated at a checkpoint. There is no published exemption for nitro pills or patches on the website. If there is SSI SOP information (like the rules about 'assistive devices' at DEN), it is not available to me, the pax. Nor have any TSOs come forward to indicate that there is SSI SOP information (like that governing cane/walking stick dimensions) making an allowance for nitro pills or patches.

Unlike the actor, I'm not going to question or argue the decision at the checkpoint. I'm not going to risk LE's being summoned or getting arrested or being detained like Stacy Amato for interfering with the screening process.

Last edited by chollie; Oct 26, 2013 at 8:51 am