FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA Rule on Walking Sticks / Trekking Poles
Old Oct 23, 2013, 12:18 pm
chollie
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by daregale
We've traveled with collapsing trekking poles as carry on a number of times and we're questioned about them once. The TSA agent was not going to allow them but called a supervisor who deemed them a "mobility device" and let us through. So we've never been stopped with them, and would have checked the bag if we were.
What kind of tips are on your trekking poles? Mine (few years old Lekis) aren't quite as sharp as on my regular ski poles, but they definitely come to a point. I might be able to buy rubber tips, but I'd be concerned that a TSO would pull them off and then deny the poles based on the sharp tips underneath.

BTW...don't suppose you've ever taken a tent through the checkpoint? I know stakes couldn't go through; it's the aluminum poles I worry about. If I'm going backpacking, I don't like checking the tent. It isn't something I can easily replace at my destination if my luggage gets lost. One TSO posted here that he saw the tent poles both allowed and rejected at LAX checkpoints. That's the only data point I've ever gotten.