FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA Today: Phoenix airport screening draws angry complaints
Old Oct 23, 2013, 12:02 pm
chollie
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
Oh, my experiences are great and have been for over a year; I use the Übermenschen lanes at the checkpoint in both directions and when there's no Übermenschen lanes, I use the skills I learned from Flyertalk to avoid the NOSs. My opinion of <deleted> comes from his behavior. Look again at some of what he wrote in the comment I quoted:

So, he uses a comment from a clerk pretending to be a passenger to blame Mocek for "holding up the process,", responds to another comment by blaming Moceck for "causing delays", and responds to another comment by lying about what happened. Moceck's video makes clear that it wasn't about "SSI," it was about filming in the checkpoint.

<deleted> blamed the victim of TSA misconduct for the results of that misconduct, and also lied. He could have simply refrained from posting, rather than attacking and lying about Mocek.

What do you call someone who tells lies? I know what I call them. What do you call a government employee who gratuitously attacks and lies about a victim of government misconduct?
I'm on record disagreeing with him and pointing out his general inclination to take the side of TSA instead of the pax, possibly because he's never transited checkpoints multiple times at multiple airports as a handicapped pax. Or, possibly, because he plays a role here as a voice of moderation when in fact he is anything but moderate.

My point is, believe the worst you want about him - or any other poster. You may be right. It's the tone I object to - don't lower yourself.

There have been TSO posters (and I think they were genuine TSA employees) who have posted here in the past that flat out lied. No way to call it a misunderstanding, they lied. One of them lied to me in a PM. I tried her advice: don't use the words 'opt out', explain your physical limitations when directed to the NoS, a medical limitation is NOT an opt-out (according to her), you should be directed to the WTMD. Ask for a supervisor if that doesn't happen.

You know what happened? The first two times, I was told (as I am regularly now) that physical limitations mean I am an 'opt out', given the usual spiel and sent for my grope. The third time, I asked for a supervisor. It ended up with the supervisor taking the copy of the PM, my BP/ID, calling a suit, lecturing me that on an IBB, no one knows who anyone is, that SATTSO might be a ter*orist trolling FT and using me to test the system, and that it would all be put in a report (including my copy of the PM).

Yes, I'm aware that some lie. I'm also aware that some tell the truth. I believe eyecue when he talked about why TSA at DEN tried to confiscate an actor's light-saber walking stick because it exceeded SSI criteria for deciding if it could be allowed. I do not know why GSO (supposedly) doesn't have a copy of the same procedures that DEN does; I do know that I believe eyecue when he says he actually talked to a supervisor in the pictures of the incident to get an accurate understanding of what went down and why.

I just don't see the point in lowering the tone of the discussion. You're better than that. All of us are (or should be). If they lie in a respectful tone of voice, then we can counter their lies with the truth, in a respectful tone of voice. If their tone is rude (a couple prolific TSO posters in the past were famous for this), then don't respond in kind, ignore them. Don't get down on all fours and roll in the mud with them.

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 26, 2017 at 3:30 pm Reason: Privacy / Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post