FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is it Saudi airlines Boeing 747-400 safe?
Old Oct 23, 2013, 9:06 am
irishguy28
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Relatively old 747 fleets are not exactly unusual. KLM has a fleet of 22 747-400s, 4 of which are over 24 years old, another 4 which are over 23 years old. In total, 15 of the 22 are older than 20 years.

How does Saudia service their aircraft? Presumably to the same standard as most other airlines - it is not in the airline's interest to cut corners or skimp on safety. Saudia are not on any blacklists to the best of my knowledge. And I presume you haven't heard any recent reports of Saudia aircraft falling from the sky.

I think that, in general, accidents involving aircraft are usually caused by reasons other than the age of an aircraft and/or the quality of servicing anyway.

It's probably a bit naive to assume that a cheaper price can only be explained by shocking safety standards. When I last looked at pricing a Saudia ticket from Europe to Manila, there was an unavoidable and very long layover on at least one leg. Bear in mind that you may not be able to enter the country, so you would be facing a gruelling wait at the airport. You may also have to apply for a transit visa - and ladies travelling unaccompanied by male relatives are not eligible for such visas afaik.

Last edited by irishguy28; Oct 23, 2013 at 9:12 am