FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lounge guesting - immoral?
View Single Post
Old Oct 21, 2013, 11:36 am
Aviatrix

Your card is valid for lounge access for two people... which would suggest that the airline is willing to pay for two people. Their "lounge facility budget" is probably based on some formula - like "x per cent of lounge visits include an extra guest".

And really - what's the difference between guesting a family member or colleague, and guesting someone whom you've just met?

I don't guest strangers on a regular basis, but have done it a couple of times (and wouldn't hesitate to do it again in similar circumstances)

The first time - many years ago - was just after KLM had stopped allowing Silver members into the lounge. I was sitting in the lounge at NWI, near the door, when a Silver member tried to get in. The attendant explained that the rules had changed and that she could no longer let him in - he took in good grace, and was about to walk off, when - very much on the spur of the moment - I decided to ask the lounge attendant if she would let him in on my card. He was suitably grateful, and I felt I'd done a good deed! (I must confess I never thought about how much it would cost KLM...)

The second time we had got talking to a young couple at the gate at AMS when KLM announced a two-hour delay to our flight. We decided to go back to the lounge and invited the young couple to come with us. It seemed a natural thing to do!