FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Eight Seat FC
Thread: Eight Seat FC
View Single Post
Old Oct 20, 2013, 9:17 am
radiowell

I am not going to say much directly to the previous post, because I expected such response. I don't want to get into protracted arguments/speculations (we've all seen that movie before).

I still stand by my comments that abuse or assaults could happen. I didn't say at all that all AA elites (for that matter, any elites including US) will abuse or look down on others, but there are definitely some that are out of line, at least on the FT posts. I say this could happen, because the airplane is a tense place already. I have witnesses way too many incidences on the plane the last 10 years or so that escalated to confrontation (the worst I witnesses was shoving match and a near fist fight, but most were verbal attacks) for the slightest of reasons.

But if the confrontation involves something that is truly important (or perceived to be important) for the party, who knows what can happen? (Worse if alcohol is involved).

I think 2 things are to blame. One is the classism that exist, at least on the FT world. There seems to be a food chain of legacy > LCC > bus, train, and there exists prejudices and other preconceptions. Again, I am not saying all elites are like this, but the attitude exists. The other, of course, is the airline industry itself. They have made it possible to have these tense moments, and unless it is fixed, I see no better tomorrow. So my OP about the 8 seat FC is the part that the airline is contributing to the tenser environment.

My passion is that we all have decent transportation options and dignified experience to go along with it. But at this points, both the public and the industry is at fault for creating the current situation. As long as deep division and classism exist, and the airline is making the flying experience not a joy anymore, I am genuinely worried.

I apologize if any AA members were offended. Again, I said some can be irrational, not all. I may have picked other programs, but the amount of hate from AA board to US was such that I wanted to take an example. My reaction was instinctive in that I wanted to protect the perceived weaker party.