FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How do you (try) to beat the chronic delays when flying in China?
Old Oct 19, 2013, 9:04 pm
WindowSeat123

Originally Posted by USHPNWDLUA
I've flown intra-China, intra-Asia from China, and TPAC in and out of China for years and I can't remember the last time I was delayed more than 30 minutes.

I do remember a few years ago, not being able to fly ICN-TAO during an entire day because the military closed TAO for military exercises, but the closure was announced in advance
I guess you are either very lucky or don't fly enough to experience the delays:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/fli...tor-2013-08-13

Officially, China’s domestic passenger airline flight takeoff and arrival punctuality rate fell to an all-time low 74.8% in 2012, after dipping below 80% in each of the previous two years.

But many industry experts say these official calculations are too generous. The actual on-time rate for flights at the Shenzhen Bao’an International Airport — one of the nation’s busiest — was less than 50% on average during good weather, according to an Shenzhen airport staff member. And when weather conditions turned bad, less than 20% of all flights were taking off and arriving as scheduled.

In June, timetables were even less reliable at Beijing’s airport and Shanghai Pudong International Airport, the city’s largest, according to the U.S.-based civil aviation website FlightStats. The website gave the airports on-time ratings of 18.3% and 28.7%, respectively, putting them at the bottom among 35 major airports surveyed worldwide.

Every airline has been affected by the contagion of lateness. Bad weather and-or “air traffic control” are among the oft-most cited explanations announced to delayed travelers.