FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Changes to the Flat Tire rule
View Single Post
Old Oct 19, 2013, 6:46 am
InkUnderNails

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
"Huh?" back at ya. What advance purchase requirements are those? I definitely purchased a WGA fare (on points, but that shouldn't make a difference) last December less than 8 hours before flight time. (My flight on a different airline from a different -- but nearby enough -- airport had gotten cancelled due to weather at that other airline's connecting airport, and they were not able to rebook me for travel that same day. So I tried the Southwest website, and found a WGA points fare, and had plenty enough points, so I grabbed it, changed my car rental to return to the different airport, and got home on time.)
These last minute WGA fares are usually "web only" fares and can not be purchased at the airport. If invoking the flat tire rule, the airport is where you will be. Go online on the way and quickly check. If you know you are going to be late, and you find the WGA is available for the later flight, go ahead and change it. Or, you can do it at the airport for full fare or possibly have a successful change based on the flat tire rule.