FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Honeymoon in SE Asia
View Single Post
Old Oct 18, 2013, 1:12 am
Musken

Originally Posted by yat3
Thanks for the responses so far. To follow up on some questions, we are open on scheduling, probably going for 20-25 days total. For the beach resorts, we like to take boat excursions to neighboring islands for swimming/scenery and tend to get bored with just sitting around the room/resort areas. That's the appeal of El Nido as opposed to going to Amanpulo and being completely just stuck on one island. As for the cities, we mostly like walk around different neighborhoods and eating/drinking. Sightseeing and paying for activities (like cooking classes, yoga, etc) are not high priorities and we don't intend to do much shopping. There is nothing wrong with BKK at all and I enjoyed my stay there, but I don't really feel a burning need to go back the way I do with some other cities.
My experience (from Philipines, Maldives, Seychelles and more) is that neighboring islands are not attractive paradise islands as one thinks. Either they are islands where locals live (can be interesting for a short visit to see their houses and lives, but the island is "theirs" and one cannot just come as tourists to swim and sunbathe there) or not as beautiful as one would have hoped for once you get closer (very dense and wild jungle, not at all possible to walk there and quite dirty and uncomfortable beaches - there is a reason that beach boys are needed at lux resorts....) From Amanpulo you can go on island hopping, visit the closest island to see a traditional village, go to the sandbank where Amanpulo sets up the most wonderful picnic, go on fishing trips, snorkel or dive and go out to the floating house to enjoy and have drinks and food. In addition there is a number of on-island activities (spa, gym, special dinners, several restaurants, pool/beach, walking or driving your own buggy around the island etc.) This was more than enough to keep us busy and happy for 8 nights. It is just a wonderful place to be and my best memory ever. I think it would be a perfect place for a honeymoon. They also have a special romantic ceremony at the beach and the most wonderful private beach dinner.

However, I have looked at the site of El Nido and it does indeed look as if they do offer a wider number of opportunities to visits nearby islands, beaches etc. and the scenery looks beautiful, so maybe maybe this is better for you if you find such things to be more important than going the the most perfect resort with the best possible service and comfort. Would be interesting to hear if someone has been to both this and Amanpulo.