FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Fairmont Royal Pavilion, Barbados
View Single Post
Old Oct 17, 2013, 7:29 pm
mcdonalde

nice stay...

I just got back from 6 nights at this property in early October using free nights. great time of the year to be there btw.

For the seasoned american traveller, at first sight things might appear a little off. it's fairly small, almost a boutique property. there is a small gym, no spa. not all the public spaces, or even the room that we got, were in tip-top condition (considering the minimum $500/night rate). and service is not like in america, no sir... all in all, having also stayed at the fairmont orchid my first impressions were negative. there are a couple of trip advisor reviews that give voice to these concerns.

But you just need to get in the spirit. We had a fantastic time. The level of service they aim for exceeds the Fairmont Orchid, they are trying for five stars. Staff are super friendly, in a far more genuine way than in most U.S. hotels. Yes, it's true that not everyone gives you robotic hellos around the property, and the cleaners tend to congregate and chat (note: what's with the 4pm check-in?). It seems that the Bajan spirit has its positives and negatives. deal with it

The basic offer is solid. all rooms have a sea view with terrace facing onto a superb beach. plenty of free shaded sunbeds on the beach, good free wifi signal, free non-motorised watersports, delightful free afternoon tea.

the hotel is pretty quiet, mostly UK visitors with some US/Canadians. Holetown is where the action is for those interested.

what they do need

- refresh public spaces and equipment/furniture
- offer a shuttle service to nearby holetown. $15/each way in a taxi for 1 mile is not good.
- the food was solid, perhaps not spectacular. prices were fairly ok, they are conscious of competition from holetown. they need to improve the quality of some ingredients I noticed. eggs were pretty bad. some of this may be a problem of barbados (very high prices, lots of imported foodstuffs).

As for the suites, we stayed in a 3rd floor ocean view room and were happy with that. the view was great, and you are just a flight of stairs from the sea. Privacy is not as great in the ground floor suites. honestly, $100/day to tip the butler? they will be cleaning your derriere for that.

a tip - no-one is talking about it too openly but the TA web forum is full of stories of dengue fever on the island. I didn't get the impression it is a big risk by the sea at a top tier hotel where they fog for mosquitos. but why take the chance? bring some deet.