FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Honeymoon in SE Asia
View Single Post
Old Oct 16, 2013, 6:24 pm
yat3

Honeymoon in SE Asia

Hello! I am planning my honeymoon in SE Asia for Nov 2014 and am having some trouble editing down the choices. We have SPG points and Chase UR that can be transferred to various hotel chains, but likely won't use them, as we are looking mostly at properties where you can't utilize points.

We are definitely going to El Nido first and staying at the newest El Nido resort, Pangulasian Island Resort. We debated on going to Amanpulo and may still do so, but we aren't really the type that likes to be completely captive. The El Nido resorts just seem to have much better scenery and various boat tours to the surrounding islands and lagoons will keep us entertained much more than at Amanpulo.

After that, we are looking a combo of Vietnam and/or Thailand. I think it makes sense to go to some of these places, but not all, and we're looking for a mix of beach and cities. Here are the options:

Places in Vietnam: Hanoi (Sofitel Metropole), HCMC (Park Hyatt), Hoi An (Nam Thai), and Amano'i.

Of those, I'm not particularly interested in the cities, but Hoi An and Amano'i are high on my list. I'm worried that there won't be enough variety, however, and we'll get bored going from one beach resort to the next. Most likely, we'll do Amano'i and one of Hanoi/HCMC, but is Hoi An a must-see?

Places in Thailand: Chiang Mai (4S), Phuket (Trisara/Amanpuri)/Krabi (Phulay Bay or Rayavedee). Already been to Bangkok and am not a fan.

Would Phuket/Krabi just be just like El Nido (except more touristy)? I'm open to just skipping it if it's too redundant and just go to Chiang Mai (everyone seems to rave about it). Also, I am unsure if Phuket or Krabi would be the better place to stay. The Phuket resorts are more upscale but the natural scenery seems a lot more stunning over on Krabi. Is Trisara/Amanpuri worth giving the better natural scenery on Krabi? I suppose one could just take a boat tour during the stay. Or should I split it up and do a few days on Krabi and a few in Phuket.

Any input on how to edit down these choices would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!