FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel, NH [Master Thread]
Old Oct 16, 2013, 5:14 pm
Flews

Originally Posted by RCyyz
Recently stayed at this property. I had booked a 2-bedroom suite. My confirm noted that I'd be in a condo which is not part of the main building. Rate included valet parking. While filling out my reservation online, I requested bathrobes for the room.

A few days after making the reservation I phoned the property directly to verify I was in a 2-bedroom suite and not just a 2 bed suite. I was assured that it will be 2 bedroom. I was asked if there's anything else, so I just asked to kindly add a note to my reservation requesting bathrobes. All seemed well.

At check-in, there was a grand total of one (1) person working front desk. There was only one other person in front of me so my wait wasn't too long, but for a large hotel having only 1 person there seemed odd, particularly given that I checked in around 16h30 which is not an abnormal time of day.

The lady took a while to punch up my reservation. I was left with the impression that she was actually a trainee who didn't really know how to do things. Got up to the room (which actually was in the main building) and found a large suite with 1 bedroom. Sigh.

Back at front desk there was now a massive lineup. That same poor lady was trying to process all these people but frankly, she looked scared even though she was clearly doing her best. To her credit, she noticed I was back and quickly motioned me to the front of the line. I told her the problem and she went to the back room for a couple of minutes then re-emerged and told me that my other bedroom was another room next door. She had re-done my keys so they would now open both doors.

Back to the elevator to go up and there was a massive lineup there too. Eventually got up, unlocked the other room and found a staircase going up. My second bedroom was actually on top of the main room. Interesting layout but it worked.

And of course, no bathrobes in the room. Picked up the phone, hit the Guest Service button and nothing happened. Went to phone #2, hit Guest Service button and nothing happened. Sigh. Went downstairs to phone #3, hit Guest Services and it worked! Waited 30 min for bathrobes to be delivered.

The room itself was pleasant enough but quite old. Being there reminded me of being in an old person's house. At one point it was probably on the higher end, perhaps even moderately luxurious but today it just seems completely outdated and old. There was a kitchen in the suite and the electric stove was one of those old almond-coloured ones that seemed en mode in the early 1980s. Similarly the bathrooms were functional but simply out of date.

I think the suites are all privately owned. Meaning the property was built and private investors could buy a suite then get a cut of the revenue when the room was occupied. Trouble is, when the suite gets old it's up to the owner to renovate it and most investors just aren't going to bother. So the suites will continue to be ignored and get worn out and look ever more outmoded and out of step with reality.

The sitting area downstairs was large and had a pleasant wood floor with a gas fireplace. A Bose Wave radio was available but sadly did not have an iPod dock nor any aux cables to plug anything into. So I ended up using my own portable devices that I typically travel with. There was no wired internet anywhere but the wireless access was OK for simple things.

As others have noted, the lounge is a small affair. The biggest traffic jam at breakfast time was the toaster - a 2-slice affair that took a long time. (But did produce nice looking toast.) The breakfast was strictly continental. The only hot item was oatmeal that looked kind of sickly so I passed.

Overall it was an adequate stay. The property looks OK on the outside and the main lobby area is fine. My suite was terribly dated and in sore need of renovation. The location of the property is good with easy access to the highways and a simple, short and pleasant walk to town. If I was in the neighbourhood again I'd probably stay here but I'd get normal rooms instead of a suite.
Interesting. This summer I booked, but had to cancel, the same two bedroom suite detached from the main building. We did this deliberately, after doing our research on what was best for our needs. I would have been very disappointed to have received a main building suite upon arrival. Although, I must say, it sounds like a really cool room. Thanks for the review.