FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Pan-International prepaid SIMs
View Single Post
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:22 am
Phudnik

Originally Posted by Platcomike

The major advantage of Toggle are the cheap (especially free incoming) rates and local incoming numbers which TMO does not offer.

It would seem to me a great solution is keep TMO on your primary phone in their 100 countries for data and calls to/from regular contacts while travelling but use Toggle on an old or cheap phone (or a dual SIM phone) for local use. This gives you the local number for convenience and free incoming. I know we can use call forwarding and such, but that is a little awkward and sometimes you have to use "national" numbers which might be more expensive for your local contacts.

Any other thoughts?
I would think that the most efficient approach would be:
  • Keep the T-mobile SIM in your primary smartphone
  • Use Toggle in an old or cheap phone
  • Get a US Toggle # and forward your primary number to the US Toggle #, provided that you are in one of the 30 or so countries where Toggle offers free incoming calls.
  • Use the Toggle phone for outgoing calls when you are in a Toggle country and your T-mo phone everywhere else.

I switched from T-mo to Verizon last year when I switched from a BB to an iPhone, in part because T-mo's global data rates for non-BBs were ridiculous. I have pondered putting a T-mo SIM in the dual-SIM feature phone I use for Toggle, but I rarely travel to a country where Toggle has no free inbound service and, given the $50 monthly fee and the likely amount I would be calling, I don't think it would save me any money.