FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]
Old Oct 5, 2013, 3:31 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PT22064
I received an email offering to allow me to maintain my Platinum status with only 20 nights from October 1 through December 31. My planned stays for the remainder of the year come to about 10 nights (although some of them were going to be at a Hilton). That means I will need to do a mattress run for the remaining 10+ nights. Unfortunately, I can't really take the vacation time before year end, which means I am limited to weekend stays. I might be able to squeeze in 5 or 6 weekend stays for the remaining 10+ nights, but there aren't many cheap Marriotts near me (and for some reason, the weekend rates tend to be higher).

Can anyone recommend any cheap alternatives to earn the nights? For example, will the meeting credit for 10 nights per meeting work for the Plat Challenge? I have never tried it, but if I can maintain Platinum with 1 (or even 2) meetings, I am willing to book a meeting room for the weekend just as a place to hang out. (Can you use the fitness facilities and swimming pool if you have booked a "meeting"?)

Any insight or suggestions would be most appreciated.
How many nights are in your account already? In other words, how far are you requalifying for Platinum the normal way?

The meeting will count toward the normal way, not toward this special way that the email gave you, which is why need your full information.

Also, how valuable to you are the Platinum vs Gold benefits? To many, they're not great enough to be worth a lot of extra work to get the extra 25 nights. But are you going to be able to qualify for Gold a lot more easily? (We can't tell because you explained what the email offered, not how many nights are in your account for the year to date.)

I don't know that the difference between Gold and Plat would be enough for most people to want to do a lot of mattress runs to get Plat if they can get Gold without any such extra expense. However, the difference between Silver and Gold is quite another thing.