FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:52 am
PT22064

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold, US, Delta, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hyatt
Cheap alternatives to meet Plat Challenge

I received an email offering to allow me to maintain my Platinum status with only 20 nights from October 1 through December 31. My planned stays for the remainder of the year come to about 10 nights (although some of them were going to be at a Hilton). That means I will need to do a mattress run for the remaining 10+ nights. Unfortunately, I can't really take the vacation time before year end, which means I am limited to weekend stays. I might be able to squeeze in 5 or 6 weekend stays for the remaining 10+ nights, but there aren't many cheap Marriotts near me (and for some reason, the weekend rates tend to be higher).

Can anyone recommend any cheap alternatives to earn the nights? For example, will the meeting credit for 10 nights per meeting work for the Plat Challenge? I have never tried it, but if I can maintain Platinum with 1 (or even 2) meetings, I am willing to book a meeting room for the weekend just as a place to hang out. (Can you use the fitness facilities and swimming pool if you have booked a "meeting"?)

Any insight or suggestions would be most appreciated.