FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Emotional Support Animal Policy
View Single Post
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:31 am
djp98374

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by TheChallenge
I have all of you beat on the ESA horror stories.

On a WN flight about six months ago a dog brought on board as an ESA lifted it's leg and urinated all over my backpack, which destroyed the iPad I had inside. It ticked me off even worse since I specifically told the GA and FA prior to leaving that I had seen the lady let her dog urinate on the side of a trashcan in the terminal prior to leaving LAS. The FA and GA made it out like I was the bad guy for reporting it until, of course the on board urination incident.

The worse though was about four months ago myself and my girlfriend were flying on a WN flight, with her sitting next to someone who had an ESA. Halfway through the flight the ESA which was sitting on the floor proceeds to bite and thoroughly dig its teeth into my girlfriend's leg while she's sleeping. I and another passenger had to pry the dog's mouth apart with both hands to get it off of her leg. While I'm trying to to patch up and stem her bleeding in the bathroom for the last 45mins of the flight, the FAs are busy arguing with the lady about how they should have never let the dog on in the first place. Apparently the dog snapped towards someone at the gate, and the GA made a decision to still let the dog on because the owner said "Someone was being hostile towards the dog, it isn't normally like that. I absolutely need the dog to fly" After I heard that, I told the FAs that I wanted both EMTs AND LEOs at the gate when we landed. I and my girlfriend left for the hospital immediately with the EMTs, but the lady went ballistic when she was met by law enforcement and animal control at the gate. The lady admitted the dog hadn't had vaccinations in over five years, so off to the hospital they went as well so everything, including rabies could be ruled out faster than doing the blood work at the animal shelter.

We both now absolutely refuse to sit anywhere near an animal on board a plane, too many people are bringing on animals that aren't trained to be in crowded, confined spaces for an extended period of time.
did WN compensate you?