FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Le Méridien Bali Jimbaran, Indonesia [Master Thread]
Old Oct 3, 2013, 5:43 am
jmgriffin

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
Shows that it really never hurts to ask - that's a 50% markdown from the initial quote. Though if you value your points at $0.02, then the initial 12K is $240. Add $150 and you have $390... not sure if that's the best deal but then again, points don't do anything if they're not used. But I thought you'd already decided not to stay here...?

I'm a real advocate of asking for what we want though I've also found that you might need to get to someone who can actually make decisions. I've had a totally different response when corresponding with the "rank and file" FD people answering the hotel email from spg.com, and when corresponding with the higher management.
I definitely decided not to stay here on this trip, just wanted to report back what I found before making the decision.

Also, I looked at the deal more like a cash & points proposition: ($372 normal rate of villa - $150 top-up rate) / 6,240 Starpoints (average rate with 5th night free and 35% off coupon) = 3.56 cents/point. Pretty good return!

Given this, I would have taken the deal if we'd decided to stay at this property.

Last edited by jmgriffin; Oct 3, 2013 at 8:01 am Reason: fixed my math