FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The First Class Experience with Garuda Indonesia
Old Oct 1, 2013, 10:52 pm
quirrow

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Originally Posted by guyinmotion
Not Etihad but benchmarking SQ in Garuda's "Quantum Leap Forward" investment to improve overall service, increase fleet to 154 with avg age of 5 years and fly 32 million passengers per annum starting 2015. If Garuda pulls this off, I will take over SQ in terms of passenger, fleet and revenue size - SQ fleet size was 102 and carried 18 million passengers in 2012. One major fault in Garuda's equation though is that CGK does not have the capacity, structural design nor technology to support their business goals. And while current airport improvements/ expansion are underway, it will not be big enough nor fully completed by 2015.
What I meant was they definitely had some help from Etihad in the First Class design and amenities. As for beating SQ, I believe they still have some way to go since SQ has an excellent reputation even amongst Indonesians. Not only that SQ definitely gets much more connecting traffic and has a much more extensive route network. Compared to SQ's all wide-body fleet with A380s, GA's main fleet are comprised of 738s serving domestic routes.

For domestic flights in Indonesia, Garuda Indonesia is the best bet, but for regional flights, I would probably pick SQ or CX even if it means the need to transfer since many of the short haul flights are operated by a 738 which can be quite cramped in the back when the flights are full.

Originally Posted by UMD
It is SQ that GA is trying to beat and copy here and so far it has been successful. Not SQ yet but it is getting there. I can tell you that my F experience onboard GA is in may ways better than what SQ is offering in F. The only other challenge that Garuda is facing is CGK.

I agree with the CGK challenge. Let's hope there will be no more delay to T3.
Doesn't CGK already have a T3?