FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How long for building up a good credit history from zero.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 3:53 pm
DTS

Programs: AS 75k, A3 Gold, AC 25k, IHG Plat
How long for building up a good credit history from zero.

Hi guys!
I tried the search but did not find an answer to my question (only about how to get a CC without credit history).
Now I came to the US three months ago. After I got my SSN, I applied for an AMEX charge card through the global transfer program (and got approved). I also was able to lease a car (through Volvo's expatriae program).
Anyways, I started with a credit history of zero. As I had to use my AMEX for all purchases, and as it is a charge card, and I have no idea how high my limit would be, I am not able to limit myself to 20-30% of the limit (the way it is frequently recommended). I am spending between 1500 and 2000USD on the card per month, always pay off when receiving the statement. I did not make a payment on the car yet, as the first three months were covered through a special offer from Volvo, October will be the first month in which I will make a lease payment.
So with this information, what would be your estimation on how long it will take me to build up a credit history that allows me to participate in all the stuff that you guys are talking about every day (Chase UR and other special sign-up offers...)?