FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rules against campaigning prevent TalkBoard from being relevant to most users
Old Sep 28, 2013, 10:39 am
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
IMO, the key issue here might be that you are communicating with friends or contacts here and not sending PMs to those who do not know you or haven't had exchanges with previously - the latter could view the PM as spam or intrusive, like those unsolicited election calls at dinnertime. (As others have said, that could produce some undesirable blowback - what we appear to do on another's behalf, such as advocacy, could affect that other person adversely with no fault of his / her own.)

PMing others for these kinds of purposes can be a bit like an accidental fender bender in a parking lot: the impact has greater bearing than the intent.

That's separate from FT policy; I'll let the Community Director limn out how that would play in this scenario, though I can't see where one member's PM would be considered "illegal campaigning" by a TB candidate unless (unlikely scenario) a candidate had enlisted members to campaign in such a way.

Originally Posted by travelkid
Then I would like to know if its ok that I PM FT friends/contacts recommending a specific vote (on a another person running) due to specific standpoints?

Is that illegal campaigning? From whom? Or does informing a few make it an uneven playing field? Does even mean that absolutely everyone must get the same information?