FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rules against campaigning prevent TalkBoard from being relevant to most users
Old Sep 28, 2013, 7:28 am
lin821

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Originally Posted by travelkid
Then I would like to know if its ok that I PM FT friends/contacts recommending a specific vote (on a another person running) due to specific standpoints?

Is that illegal campaigning? From whom? Or does informing a few make it an uneven playing field? Does even mean that absolutely everyone must get the same information?
Your question is better addressed to the CommunityDirector since she's in charge of elections, not TB.

BTW - if a non-candidate does do PMs (presuming it's allowed; it's not for candidates), they might want to make sure the person they're PMing actually agrees w/ them. I received a PM a few years back doing what you suggested - the problem was I didn't agree w/ it & the end result was that it cemented my decision not to vote for the person they were PMing about
I believe for us general members, we should refer to FT Guidelines and Rules about how we are expected to handle ourselves on FT. This is the specifics w/r/t using PMs and email:

Abuse of Private Messaging and FT E-mails

Flyertalk's private messaging and e-mails obtained through FlyerTalk while "private", still fall under the rules established here. They should not be used for commercial purposes, to send spam, to solicit cash payments for travel awards and points, or to threaten or harass members, moderators or administrators. Members who use them to circumvent the rules of the community will be subject to disciplinary action. If you receive this type of communication, report it immediately. Do not publish it on the board.
I don't know about others, but for me, if I did receive any PM or email with reference to a yes or no vote on a TB candidate from another fellow FTer, I would consider it a harassment (or even spam) and a sign of abusing FT's private communication channels for campaigning purposes. It doesn't matter whether I intend to vote for said TB candidate or not. YMMV.