FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Finnair to hire 210 strike-breakers in Spain
Old Sep 23, 2013, 11:16 am
panxta

Originally Posted by SPBanker
I also think the idea of using the Spanish FAs as strike-breakers wouldn't work, because the baggage handlers etc. would most probably stage enough wildcat strikes to severely disrupt AY's operations in the case of a FA strike.

I view this is as flexing muscles by the AY towards the unions in preparation for the wage negotiations. "Look how much we are willing pay to have these people in reserve. Getting labour costs down (per km etc.) is important for us."
While I personally dont believe in engaging in this kind of actions, I think there is some fresh spirit in Finnair management.

This looks quite feasible strategy to try to wry the union out of the position. Total pricetag for this action is 240k€ (200 *1.2k€), which is comparable for 6 FA salaries per year. I dont believe that it will be working though and I certainly dont think that Finnair will ever use these guys in full scale.

They also send the McD-style booklet earlier, to open the discussion up early enough.
http://www.hs.fi/talous/a1377147852705

So, the only question now is that when does the strike start and how long does it last. The only flight I´m worried is 28.10, the rest I have already transferred to SAS due to possibility of this strike.

Does anyone remember when did the previous strikes start?