FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 1,000,000 bonus miles
View Single Post
Old Jan 8, 2000, 5:58 pm
BlondeBomber
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Before I start, I would like to know the rules but here are some thoughts.

I don't even know the Latin Pass rules so maybe those fare restrictions are already in place (they reserve the right for some carriers to exclude certain fares). South American fares tend to be relatively cheap even for full fare so maybe not a real problem.

Does international mean intercontinental or is intracontinental OK?

Some possibilities (although authorities might think you are into emerald or diamond smuggling if you keep coming into Bogota as your hub ):

ACES Bogota-Quito ($170 US 1-way) no restrictions
AEROPOSTAL Bogota-Quito ($170 US 1-way) no restrictions
AVIANCA Bogota-Quito ($170 US 1-way) no restrictions
COPA Bogota-Panama ($300US RT no restrictions)
GRUPOTACA Panama-San Jose (CR) $300US 1-way no restrictions)
SAETA Bogota-Quito ($170 US 1-way) no restrictions

KLM Amsterdam-London (can be done cheap)
TWA STL to London $300US RT(min Saturday stay)
US AIRWAYS PHL to London ($200US RT (min Saturday stay) but could combine round trips back to back with TWA to minimize stay if you don't want to enjoy UK. They advertise $99 one-way but can you buy one way from these carriers?

$1300US for intra Central/South American fares (probably can do better with good planning, staying longer, enjoying the scenery--may cost more for hotels and food but you might have fun doing this). Do cheap $200-600 fares to and in Europe on TWA, KLM and US and use points to get to Caracas, Bogota, SJO or Panama. Looks like it can be done for under $1500 US if you try harder, not counting hotels, meals, taxes etc.

Even if you did RT fares on each carrier it wouldn't add up to a huge amount. Several of these fares are combinable with other the carriers (in fact the other carriers may offer exactly the same fares).

[This message has been edited by BlondeBomber (edited 01-08-2000).]