FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The dangers of baggage carousels
View Single Post
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:32 pm
FlyingHoustonian

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
I think it's a safe bet the person who put their child on a luggage belt isn't one of life's little rocket scientists.
Well, we don't know. Maybe, maybe not. None of us were there, and current media reports are conflicting (at the time of my posting this).

And yes, something like a poor-victim-American-mother being prosecuted outside the US and sent to prison for it would make the news.
Depends on what other stories are working through the "news cycle". Could be lead story, but if a senator gets arrested with a tranny hooker or something it could be buried and get little coverage. Either way that would presume your "stupid" people actually are informed enough to watch/read the news then have it click in their "feeble minds" so they remember it after a long journey.

I am, obviously, assuming that the other stupid people would be able to work out from the story that putting your kid on a luggage belt is a dumb move, but hey, maybe you're right and they're too dumb for even that.
Well if they are stupid by definition, how is seeing the news going to make them "smart"? Again, how will your stupid folks remember?

How many people have been killed by luggage belts? Your prosecution of this woman would save how many lives you think?

Would you prefer that the stupid people just kill their kids off due to their stupidity?
I never made such an inane statement. We don't know the facts yet. On the surface it seems like a dangerous move, of course, but maybe the other child was doing something reckless that needed immediate attention which caused the mother to place the baby down triggering the belt? Maybe the woman was tired and just made a dumb tragic move?

'Tis very sad, whatever happened.

Not sure how putting the woman in jail is going to serve the citizens of Spain and the EU, nor the woman's other child, nor bring some form of justice for the dead child. Seems an odd concept that inv. manslaugther charges are warranted at this time when we know so little about the facts.

If stupidity were a crime, half the planet would be in jail (gaol).

At this point I would see them putting up a few more "danger" signs around the belts, and making sure they have the lights and sirens when they are about to start moving.

Sad, sad story.