FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Germany 2013: Roman things, Churches, & the World in Miniature (LH&OS C)
Old Sep 19, 2013, 2:51 pm
glennaa11

Programs: most of them
My final day in Cologne I decided to venture a bit farther afield since most of my time had been spent in the little area around the Dom and the hotel. So I bought a day pass for the public transport which cost about 8 euros. I ended up spending some time visiting a church called Grosse St. Martin’s. The church was largely destroyed during WWII and the rebuilding wasn’t completed until the 1980s. What I didn’t know before I got there is that in the basement of the church you can visit the Roman foundations and excavations. The site where church stands was first a Roman sports ground and then a warehouse. You can see some of the foundations from the warehouse as well as the foundations that are holding up the church. It costs something like .50 euro to go down into the basement.

Roman foundations under Grosse St. Martin Church

Cologne city gate

I walked around the area of Rudolfplatz and then took the tram up to the zoo station. I don’t like zoos so I skipped that to visit the botanic garden which is next to the zoo. It was a cloudy grey day and rather cool compared to the warm sunny weather I had most of the time on the trip. Lots of pretty flowers and tons of bees. I was getting pretty tired so I head back to the hotel to get some rest.