FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Germany 2013: Roman things, Churches, & the World in Miniature (LH&OS C)
Old Sep 19, 2013, 2:50 pm
glennaa11

Programs: most of them
The Praetorium
From there I wanted to visit the Praetorium which was the Roman governor’s palace. It was discovered only relatively recently. It is near the old Rathaus. I had a hard time finding it though as it is down a sidestreet not exactly where I was looking. The foundations and some parts of the walls exist and have been excavated. You can walk around it on a raised walkway. There are also models and drawings or computer animations of what it looked like. They also have a small collection of other items including a few nice models of other buildings. I got the combination ticket when I visited the Roman museum for 8 euros. It was supposed to be more like 9,50. The guy at the entrance to the Praetorium looked puzzled by the ticket and called the other museum but let me in. You can also walk through the old Roman sewer from here. There’s not a whole lot to it and it dead ends so you have to go back through the tunnel to the museum to get out.

The Germans love their scale models

Roman sewer

Cologne City Museum
During the afternoon I stopped in at the Cologne City Museum. I am a big fan of these city museums as they usually give you a great intro to the city and have interesting artifacts. This particular city museum was a bit disappointing though. There are some good items from the turn of the 20th century that are rather impressive silver and gold objets d’ arte designed for various World’s Fair type exhibitions. They don’t deal with anything earlier than the late middle ages. To their credit there is a decent amount of stuff on WWII.

The Germans love their scale models

Last edited by glennaa11; Sep 19, 2013 at 3:28 pm