FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Germany 2013: Roman things, Churches, & the World in Miniature (LH&OS C)
Old Sep 19, 2013, 2:48 pm
glennaa11

Programs: most of them
I also did a 2 hour boat ride through the canals on Sunday. Pretty pricey at 20 euros. Commentary and stand up comedy in German only. My highschool German has been enough for me to get along. And I understood quite a bit of the commentary on the boat. The old Germans were rolling in the aisles so I guess the captain must have been pretty funny. There is a series of locks that you have to go through in order to get from the lake out to the rest of the canals. So that takes up a good chunk of the trip. If I had it to do again I think I would take one of the trips that goes around the inner and outer Alster instead. But everything was already full by the time I went to get a ticket.

I really enjoyed Hamburg. I am sure the great weather helped. But everyone was pretty laid back. Lots of very attractive people. I would happily return. It was a nice re-introduction to Europe. They do so much better over there than we do in the USA. They really seem to know how to live.

Germans love their scale models

St. Peter’s Church tower

enormous bus!

view from my teeny little balcony

I had never heard of this lock bridge tradition before. But these things are all over the place. I guess it was started in Paris. Two lovers get a lock engraved, attach it to the bridge and throw the key into the water so their love will last forever or something like that.

They are very colorful

Bidding auf wiedersehen to Hamburg it was off to Cologne to start my Roman adventure. I took the ICE from Hamburg Hbf. It takes about 4 hours. I booked first class in a cabin so it was nice and quiet. There was a family with a small boy in the cabin when boarded. I guess kids are the same everywhere as he had a hard time sitting still for long. They got off about half way through the trip and after that I had the cabin to myself.

Last edited by glennaa11; Sep 19, 2013 at 3:20 pm