FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]
Old Sep 18, 2013, 7:39 pm
LHR/MEL/Europe FF
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by mrsjon01
Hi, I'm getting ready to book my first ever award ticket as an off-peak US - Europe. I understand about the unusual interpretations of the routing rules and have been reading how to maximize them.

So, I understand that the off-peak $35K awards are only for US metal. I would like to maximize the open jaw/stopover rules. Can I get a stopover within Europe even though I don't see how that would work on US metal?

example: live in STL, want to go to BRU or VCE. Can I do both?

STL - BRU (stop)
BRU - VCE (destination)
VCE - STL

It would have to be BRU-VCE on a *A partner because there is no US flight from BRU - VCE. (I know I can do an OJ, but I'm looking for a stopover if possible).

Alternatively, if that doesn't work out, can I add a leg at the end of my trip, even though STL is not a US hub?

ex: STL-BRU // BRU - STL // STL-HNL

or: STL-BRU //BRU - STL //STL-GRU (The redemption N.Am - S.Am is the same price as the Europe trip during a S.Am off peak period). I'm reading that the agents aren't up on their geography!

Sorry for the really basic questions, I tried to find the info here before posting.
Thanks!!
you can't combine partners with US metal for low off peak awards. if you need to introduce a partner airline then you use the standard table.

you can probably open jaw, but isn't HNL in a different zone? and be aware that the open jaw cannot be the longest segment.