FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2013 Marriott Rewards Hotel Category Changes List
Old Sep 18, 2013, 6:35 pm
LAtraveler1

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by cova
I too have a reservation at the Fairfield Inn and Suites NYC. I booked when it was a Cat 6 - 5 nights for 120K points. I later changed the bed type only and was told there was no impact. Well I noticed a message that certificate did not match. The hotel changed to Cat 7 on May 15th, and then changed again to Cat 8 on Aug 8th. First time I have seen two category changes in one year.

Rewards agent said the bed type triggered a change and thus I needed Cat 7 points when the bed type was changed. I told her that agent that changed said no impact. So the agent rebooked from Cat 6 to Cat 7 (20K more) and gave me a 20K courtesy bonus to compensation for the change. But if changed after 8/8 then a cat 8 point.

Now the hotel is a Cat 8 for 160K points for 5 nights. Not sure I would book this hotel as a Cat 8 reward -might as well go to the Marquis (cat 9).
I too have a NY reservation that I booked in June for the Springhill Suites for 2 nights when it was a Category 7. I was surprised when I looked at my reservation and it showed 80,000 points used for my stay. Have original email from June that shows 70,000 taken from my account.

Didn't realize that there would be a 2nd category increase this year. NY is getting VERY expensive even point wise.