FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lapchild fee not charged at booking - should UA honor booking? [Consolidated]
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:53 am
LilAbner

Originally Posted by bandana1948
..... for myself, my wife, and lap infant.

The system priced the booking at 260k miles and $357 in taxes/fees, which I paid.

The following day I received e-tickets for myself and my wife. I assumed the lap child would not need a ticket,
In the first place, the Op assumed (incorrectly) that his child would NOT need a ticket, and he states so. Two tickets using miles cannot be combined with a revenue ticket, so the OP needed to pay for his lap child separately. This subject comes up all the time on FT and every single time posters blame UA for the fact that the OP's will need to pay to have their kid ride on a lap. Contacting Aaron is usually thrown out to see if he may somehow be able to comp an OP for not knowing the rules.

The FTer way of doing things, I know, is to transfer the blame for not knowing how to purchase tickets, for EVERYONE wanting to get on the plane, to the larger company with a hope that ignorance of the rules will somehow be winked through. A simple phone call right after the OP booked his tickets would have been the prudent way, to find out what the child needed to ride on the plane instead of seeking help/advice/sympathy from FT several months after the purchase.

Btw, after reading the OP's post above it may have indicated that the child was riding on a parents lap in the completed itin, but the OP still needed to buy a ticket for the extra passenger on a separate booking. Tickets using awards and tickets using $ cannot be on the same itin, and needed to be booked separately.

Last edited by LilAbner; Sep 16, 2013 at 11:00 am