FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American AA vs. United UA [Consolidated]
View Single Post
Old Sep 15, 2013, 7:08 pm
okrogius

Originally Posted by mosquito
I'm 1K on UA and EXP on AA. To me, their domestic products are similar -- UA is slightly nicer right now but AA should surpass them in 2014/2015. Upgrade percentage (I'm out of ORD) are also pretty close.

If you're in Manhattan or BK, I would strongly prefer LGA/JFK if I were you, which is heavy AA territory.

As far as applicability of miles, others are right in that Star miles are better for flexible use, but also consider that UA is moving to PQM next year, so you may have issues qualifying if you're a budget traveler.

Ultimately it's up to you though. They should be pretty close. Don't stress about it too much.
Upgrade rates vary a lot based on what kind of traveler you are. UA prioritizes high fare customers, whereas AA prioritizes connecting customers and those that book in advance. (So for me my AA upgrade rate is 100% whereas my UA % is closer to 70.)

Although I'm curious what makes you prefer UA domestically. I'm consistently getting better service with AA, there's wifi, and food is much better.