FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best Cards for a first time churner?
View Single Post
Old Sep 13, 2013, 3:34 pm
mnscout

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wholeinone04
So I'm applying for a couple cards for my fiancee. She has great credit, 815 CS score and only a few open cards and a student loan. I was thinking about starting her off slow on a couple cards.

1. Citi Thank You Preferred - 30k points after 3k spend in 6 months. I like this card bc there's no AF so we could keep it around for a while to eventually help boost her AAOA.

2. Chase Sapphire Preferred - 40k points after 3k spend in 3 months. First year AF waived but I like that the points are very flexible and you can use them or transfer them. Is it easy to get the fee waived after the first year or should I just cancel?

Any other suggestions/tips? I'm looking for cards that can easily transfer pts or have very useful redemption options since she doesn't have status or any pts accumulated anywhere else. I was also thinking about amex bus. gold and/or chase ink bold but she doesn't have a business haha. What are the odds for success if you say you're starting a business but no income yet?
I'd scratch TYP. Not worth a pull, IMHO. You've got some good suggestions, but make sure she can meet the spend. I would certainly go for the following:

Barclays Arrival
Chase CSP
Amex Gold.

And then I'd stop. 3 cards are enough for a young person when your credit file isn't too thick, and she'll have laid a good foundation for the future.

Well, if she's adventurous, she could add a Citi AA or Hilton to the mix, but City may not like her short credit history (no matter what the score is) for a reward card.