FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any experience with unlocking iPhone 4 for extended stay in Italy
Old Sep 11, 2013, 2:07 pm
Perche

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Palal
Read my post, I said data roaming plans. more info here.

120mb gets you ~100-120 min on skype.
Thanks, it's a very handy link. The problem with Skype is you have to be at a wifi hotspot. With MiFi you carry the hotspot with you. Also if you are in Italy for a month at a time, 120 MB is nothing. You can call your family for 30 minutes each week on Skype, and that's about it, and have no data left for email, web-surfing. etc.

Or, you can stay off Skype, and just web-surf and email. 120 MB provides about 200 emails and 100 web page visits per month. I get about 200 emails per month that I don't even read, want, or subscribe to. I probably read ten web pages each morning just to keep up with sports, another ten to keep up with national and local news, more to look up restaurants, italian words that I didn't understand, and to keep up with FlyerTalk and other sites.

No way 120 MB lasts more than a few days unless you are on a severe data diet. That's OK if you are on a short vacation, but not if you want to use the internet the way you are accustomed to at home, or need it for work. In that case you need 2,000 times more data (at least 2 GB), minimum, although 5-7 GB per month is more standard, providing you don't plan on streaming movies, music or games.

That's why using an iPhone with a U.S. contract that offers two plans,120 MB or a maximum of 300 MB international roaming data is a non-starter.

If you are going to live and work here and need full internet access for business and pleasure, and you are under an IPhone contract with a U.S., carrier there's a need for a better solution. I hope the Vodafone solution will work.

Last edited by Perche; Sep 11, 2013 at 3:19 pm