FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Discount Codes (many are Corporate)
Old Sep 1, 2013, 7:08 am
Biggie Fries

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Hyatt put me in for senior rate, but ...

Originally Posted by baliktad
Knowingly defrauding a hotel in this manner is not what FT is about. The terms say 62 or above; the policy is not determined by whether they verify or not at checkin. If price is important to you, I would suggest you look into some of the other promos Hyatt is running (some 30% LTO's) or a membership program that offers Hyatt discounts (AAA, Costco).
Originally Posted by alxir
OK, my bad, I tried to withdraw my original question, but can't seem to change the title of my post. I got caught up in all the posts I see for corporate codes being used by people who don't work for the company... I will say in my defense that the minimum age for senior discounts is all over the place with it being as low as 55 at some places and as high as 65 at others. It's easy for an old geezer like me to get confused. Whether claiming a discount code that you're not entitled to raises to the level of fraud is debatable, but your point is well taken. I'm a legitimate member of AAA and Costco, but can never take advantage of the deep discounts which always involve advance purchases because my travel plans can be and are changed unexpectedly by things beyond my control. I have rationalized thoughts of using codes I'm not entitled to because I can't take advantage of the 30% off discount sales which require advance purchase. Also, if I go to the hotel in person and ask for a lower rate because of the rate cap my company has on reimbursing me, they always give it to me. I could probably get the lower rate if I called the hotel also. I prefer to make all my travel arrangements online without begging.

Here's what bugs me the most... Inexperienced travelers walk up to the front desk and ask if there are any vacancies and the front desk staffer says yes, then proceeds to charge them an outrageously high nightly rate. They don't ask the customer if they're members of Costco or AAA where they would save the customer as much as $50/night. Who's defrauding who in that case???

Excuse the rant,,, it's not directed at you. One wrong does not justify another,,, although I guess I'm trying to...
Sorry to exhume this stuff from the grave, but it was all I could find in searching ....

I called Hyatt to book a pricey stay, half the nights on points, half on shekels (figuratively). After I got the points nights, I asked the Hyatt person I was speaking with, in the standard way that one does, "what's the best she could do for me?" on the pay nights. It was a price about 10% higher than the last time I had stayed in the place (and about 4x what I like to pay for a hotel room, but it's a special occasion, and so on).

Done deal, right? Well, later, when I looked at my on-line reservation, it was all there, and the paying nights at the price quoted, but the rate was listed as Senior 62+. Which I'm not. In all the talk with the agent, we never once spoke of my age, or the basis for the price she quoted. When I looked to re-book electronically at something for which I am technically eligible, everything is currently another 10% higher.

I booked in good faith. Am I obligated to point out their error? Risk embarrassment at the desk? Thoughts -- and, especially, experiences -- welcome!