FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]
Old Aug 31, 2013, 9:05 am
LHR/MEL/Europe FF
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by swdke
Anyone know about this situation? Thanks.

Using USAir miles, I am booked on award travel with United from DAY-EWR, and from EWR-CPH on SAS Airlines. I am concerned about my short layover connection time I have at EWR due to the historically poor flight time arrival/cancellations of the United DAY-EWR flight. Plus, I am booked on the last DAY-EWR flight available on United that day. Therefore, I was wondering on the day of travel, I assume I check-in on the United website, and if so, and if seats are available, can I take advantage of the option to fly DAY-EWR and pay the "same day" change fee for an earlier departing flight to EWR? Having booked with USAir miles, I didn't know if this made a difference or not. Thanks.
I can't help you exactly on point, but generally speaking, partner airlines are not willing to make voluntary changes to partner issued award tickets.

at the airport I have tried previously with Lufthansa to catch an earlier connection and it was denied... i was referred back to USDM as the issuer to see if they could make the change (which if course they wouldn't as travel had already commenced).

that being said.. united goes out if their way to assist in the case of irrops. so if it looks likely your later flight will be cancelled or delayed, they'll generally do everything they can to help you.

and finally... if you can check in in line and if you are offered the earlier flight.. . the I guess by all means take advantage of it