FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel Safety in Mexico - Interesting Perspective(s)
Old Aug 30, 2013, 2:30 pm
M60_to_LGA

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by Section 107
agreed on the assessment of Mexico.

But, I am curious, what parts of DC are you visiting where you dont feel safe? There sketchy parts of the city are in the SE and NE neighborhoods where there are absolutely no tourist destinations unless you are in search of good go-go music.

all the tourist areas are very safe and always have significant police presence. true, it wasnt enough to prevent the crazy lady from painting up Abe Lincoln but she didnt hurt or rob anyone.
I lived in the DC area (both DC proper and Silver Spring) for years, until 2011. Even in the "nice" areas - Dupont, Georgetown, Woodley Park, Foggy Bottom, etc. - random street crime happens regularly, even in the middle of the day. And that's not even talking about the stuff that goes on in more transitional areas like Columbia Heights or even Mt. Pleasant.

I feel much more comfortable waiting for a bus on Fordham Road in the Bronx late at night than I would walking around much of DC at the same time. While I've never been victimized, I know enough people who have been, and I've had enough of my own run-ins with cracked-out, aggressive, angry people to count my blessings.