FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flightlapses - Please comment!
View Single Post
Old Aug 30, 2013, 12:27 am
SeattleFlyerGuy

Programs: Free Agent
Thanks for all the feedback, Craig! As for specific replies:

0. I've been using a Delkin Fat Gecko to mount the camera to the window. It is great, but vibrations can be a problem. The mount will not go anywhere and it is very well made. I mount it at the bottom of the window so that the shade can be pulled down almost all the way and then block the rest of the light with the safety card/a tshirt. My approach has been to try and make the whole thing as unobtrusive as possible, so no DSLR (although there are other people who have gone that route). You could use the mount with a DSLR, but the length of the arm is where the vibrations really kick in. I think if you are shooting a high speed it should be ok, but with the video mode that I've been using.. those shakes are killer. Also, the video with the mount on prop planes is just worthless. Too much vibration anywhere but the ground.

1. Interesting, but would that work in this situation? Since the plane is constantly moving, 1.5s may result in blurred/motion trail images (which in itself may end up looking like a cool "warp" effect)?

2. I wouldn't have enough space on my card, if I went that route.

3. Thanks!

4. The tilt-shift mode is the lazy man's timelapse. The output is actually a MOV file, not individual photos. I CAN do a proper timelapse using CHDK, but unfortunately the screen remains on and power is an issue. I can get about 40-60 minutes of filming on a batery, but the timelapse script tends to suck the batteries dry. :/ What I need is to drop the money on a DC adapter and then sit where there is a plug.

5. I just got CS6. It's a huge upgrade from CS2, which is what I was using previously. The problem now is that while it is infinitely better in every way, it is the one program that brings my laptop to a stutter... No after effects though.. :/

6. A byproduct of the movie mode used. It is just a simple point and shoot.

7. CHDK is my intervalometer right now, when I'm going that route. I've used that in the past for other projects and have been really happy with the results, but that was also with my old camera where I could script the screen to turn off . And if it ever gets delivered, this will be my intervalomter in the future...

8, 9, and 10. Good idea. I'll have to bust out my 50m 1.4/f and give it a whirl.