FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Intra-Asia F routes
View Single Post
Old Aug 29, 2013, 2:06 am
Thai-Kiwi
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by QRC3288
I'm not 100% sure, but from reading on here it sounds like a virtual lock if you're coming in on an F flight where only J is offered on the next flight. But if you are originating HKG and had a F award or something but got downgraded due to aircraft swap, I suspect if you have enough paperwork there with you they'll just let you in regardless heaps of people here have asked something similar so maybe they'll chime in or you can search.

As for your flight, BKK is not "very uncommon" to have F. A more precise way of putting it would be say to say F is very unpredictable to/from BKK, particularly compared to LH destinations where you can be assured of F. About the only regional destinations CX seems dedicated to serving consistently with paid F are Japan routes, and I suspect that's because it's probably the only regional destination with consistent paid (cash) demand for F tix with HKG as beginning/end of the journey. It seems from reading on here most F pax to/from DPS/BKK/MNL etc are transiting HKIA and/or on awards. which tells me that's probably low revenue (from CX's point of view) utilization of the F cabin. So CX basically treats those routes as the first to play ring-around-the-rosie with aircraft type whenever needs arise. But indeed CX does regularly put F cabins (sometimes as 2-class, others as 3) on BKK/TPE/MNL/SGN routes and you can get those seats with strategizing and a bit of luck.
Cheers, I think luck has been the predominant factor in scoring F HKG-BKK!

Tried booking an AA F award, mainly to try QF F SYD-HKG. Planned route was WLG (QF J) - SYD (QF F) - HKG (CX F) - SIN (CX J) - BKK. However AA said sectors HKG-SIN-BKK were somehow regional 'backtracking' even though within MPM+25%, so went with the HKG-BKK on CX J (no F offered on any flight. Oh, forced overnight in HKG between QF 127 arrival 17:30 hrs and departure CX615 at 10:00 next day. But I have a TG hotel award, so covered.

So very pleased to see and equipment change from 333 to 77W, and then with an F award available.