FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Did Amsterdam Schiphol ever consider changing its name to London Amsterdam Airport?
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:09 am
flyingcrazy
Suspended

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Yes, of course LHR handles more UK-originating passengers than AMS does - LHR handles transfer passengers originating in other domestic airports, while also handling O&D traffic originating not just in the South-East, but in all of the UK.

I really think you have completely misinterpreted Amsterdam Airport Schiphol's marketing shpiel - they are neither boasting, nor claiming to be British.

But I doubt you will find any other airport anywhere in the world - even within Britain - that has direct connections to as many British airports.
But AMS saying it is the UK's hub airport is completely incorrect because LHR is the UK's hub airport.

Sure AMS has direct flights to a lot of UK airports but these include airports that are too close to LHR to warrant a direct flight (LTN, STN, LGW, LCY, CMB, BRS, BHX).

Maybe I have misunderstood, this was never supposed to be a 100% serious post and I never have expected AMS to rename itself. Its just their rather cheesy marketing campaigns are a bit naff IMO.