FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - More Reason for Discomfort
View Single Post
Old Aug 27, 2013, 7:53 pm
RadioGirl

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by 747FC
I am suggesting that I'd rather not be flying with people bringing unknown liquids into the plane, or --for that matter-- bringing even short knives into the plane. It is a known fact that unregulated liquids and box cutters have brought down planes. Really bad guys are out to get us, and those bad guys are not federal intelligence or law enforcement agents, but terrorists who are quite creative.
If you endorse the current liquid restrictions, what you are actually saying is that you'd rather not be flying with people bringing unknown liquids in a 16 ounce container onto the plane, but you're perfectly comfortable flying with people who bring 6 or 8 containers of 3 ounces each, full of unknown liquids onto a plane.

And you're comfortable with the fact that airside in the airport or on board, people could combine the content of those small containers in an empty container to have up to 24 ounces of unknown liquid. Each. And that multiple passengers could combine their 24 ounces of unknown liquids to have, well, as much unknown liquid as they want.

I know you're okay with that, because that's what the current rules allow. And you're impressed with the creativity of terrorists, so you know they've probably figured out how to pour liquid from a little bottle into a big bottle.

You're also okay with standing in stupidly long lines at the checkpoint in close proximity to a plastic garbage can in which the large containers of "unknown liquids" are dumped, where they could be mixing together to create poisonous fumes or explode on impact or who knows what. You're comfortable with that, because that's the result of the current confiscation of large liquids.

Wow.