FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - More Reason for Discomfort
View Single Post
Old Aug 27, 2013, 6:26 pm
chollie
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by 747FC
No, I am not saying that. There are more voices than just his in this debate on the threats posed by terrorists, and the appropriate protective measures. I suspect many on this board would not blindly follow whatever the head or former head of any particular agency says, but would look at other sources of information in order to develop an informed opinion. My original post just pointed out that there actually were a few liquid explosives used to down/disable planes and kill people, which was not acknowledged by the poster I quoted.
I don't think anyone ever disputed that.

However, the safeguards currently available are very different today. I would assume that the man who was in charge when the LGA restrictions were put in place, who says they are no longer necessary because 1) there were always too many loopholes * and 2) TSA has (and has had for some time now, even before Hawley stepped down) the means to clear liquids at the checkpoint - I'm going to assume he has plenty of sources of information, including many sources available to few if any on this board.

* As has been pointed out, a dangerous liquid is no more or less dangerous if it is in a one-quart bottle or multiple 3-ounce containers (that can be easily combined after the checkpoint).

I (and others) admit that much of what we see at the airport is 'security theater', there are many threat areas that are completely ignored, and the fact that TSA routinely fails tests to find weapons and explosives is not reassuring. Nevertheless, I don't think Hawley (or any other TSA administrator) would suggest relaxing a checkpoint rule unless he/she was 110% positive beyond any doubt that doing so will not jeopardize aviation safety.