FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Rio Hotel & Resort, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil [Master Thread]
Old Aug 27, 2013, 7:37 am
pb9997

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by skipmnyc
Just an update on my final bill. I am trying to switch from HHonors to Starwood, or possibly Hyatt, as background.

I booked a deluxe room several weeks ago, at $271 a night. Fully prepaid, non-refundable, and my card was charged at the time.

Why I checked in, my room key had my per night rate written on it: $271 per night plus 15% tax.

At check out I recieved an itemized bill, and was asked for my credit card again. The bill was in portuguese, and suddenly the room rate was listed all in Reals. The nighly rate for the three nights was listed (without tax) as R$655, R$663, and R$633 respectively, plus tax for each night, listed separately.

At today's exchange (not much different from yesterday's exchange rate), that comes out to $277.58, $282.27, and $282.27. What gives here? I paid fully in American dollars in advance, my card was charged at the time, I confirmed the rate in American dollars at check in, but at check-out I am charged a higher rate? Keep in mind that the Real has been steadily losing value against the dollar, almost 22% over the past several months alone.

Is it just me or am I being ripped off here? I paid with my Starwood Amex, so I kind of doubt a dispute is going to get me anywhere.

When I asked about this, I got some mumbled, unintelligible explanation that made no sense to me. Needing to get to the airport, I left.

Am I off base, is the hotel off base, and if it's the hotel, what is my recourse?
Facts:
a) If it was prepaid, there is no reason for a second charge.

b) The Real has been under extreme volatility; You do not state dates... but on 8/21 the USD peaked at over 2,45x/Real.

c) The above tax is used by Brazilian Central Bank; Tourist transactions are usually levied with a heightened exchange rate.

Cheers