FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I think that it is time that I took over the organisation of BA Euro-catering
Old Aug 27, 2013, 3:19 am
oscietra

Originally Posted by V10
I'd not be that surprised to learn that the mythical research is actually focus group based. This is all well and good, but probably only really gives a green light of sorts to what the service provider wants to do, rather than generate genuine opinion about what customers would actually like.

A focus group made up of FT types might be a jolly good idea, and is sure to completely batter the budgets in the process
They do gather informal feedback at places like Taste of London lounge and Gold cardholder events. Plus GGL lunches and other promotional events.

Then there's the awful BAFutureLab which seems to attract any nutcase with a keyboard to post their perspective on BA's strategy, based on economy one way flight they took back in 1987, probably as an unaccompanied minor.

We see today in one thread an example "BA no longer give TPs on AA Dom flights" of how a single experience can lead to an erroneous understanding of how things should be/are, and therefore from that the importance of tempering the weight of any one opinion, while also being faced with the difficulty of sifting through the dross to get at the core of what part of the customer experience is commercially important (which might actually be quite different from the issue being articulated by those in the focus group/forum).

FTers might be a good source of feedback, but in my experience some here do not fly as often as they make out - and not all are as articulate in the flesh as they are online....!

The balance of commercial importance vs. customer experience is a tricky one, but you cannot abrogate cost in discussions about experience - there has to be a balance struck, and this has to be acknowledged both by those looking to make a profit as well as by those seeking to maximise their utility in the terminals and on board.

Leisure travellers form a good part of BA's revenue stream, even in premium cabins, but have different needs from the largely corporate regular premium traveller.

And it's those high value corporate travellers who are hardest to reach, exactly because they are always away.

Empowering the CSMs to note feedback and have them as a focus group, balancing customer experience with the economics of running an airline seems to be a useful way of balancing feedback.

Though again that CSM constituency can lack commercial understanding (understandable, as that's not their job) which is a shame, as I believe educating them about the basics of airline economics would help them justify to crew some of the changes which take place.

Second, CSM's ability to give feedback to management about what really matters to customers is hampered by the natural reticence of the British (and, more broadly, those trapped in an airliner) to complain or raise issues on board (viz. the number of people who are unhappy on board, fail to raise it there and then, and then come on here and rant).

Ultimately, feedback is useless unless you have empowerment, and a two way flow of information. With budgetary and other issues as they have been in recent years, employee empowerment is a potentially dangerous option in the short term.

As an example, I'd cite the lounge catering changes.

First, much of the debacle was caused by bedding in and logistical issues (no nearby kitchens available, as they had not been vacated by the previous provider) the lack of proximate facilities wasn't mentioned publicly.

Had a notice been drawn up would have gone some way to garnering understanding with customers about why things were as they were, and also setting expectations about when they would improve (we now have Eggs Benedict in the Flounge, for instance, a huge improvement!).

All those who passed through on their first experience of the lounges that first month would have thought that was normal running (even though it still knocked the socks off many lounge offerings at Heathrow, despite our protestations!

Second, while most procurement savvy business minded customers appreciate the incredible cost of changing planned supply contracts at short notice, BA/BS could have very quickly sent a strong message out that "we're listening" by doing something quick and cheap - such as re-introducing multiple flavours of crisps (as is now the case again).

That this was not done, and poor Nicci was dispatched (or should I write despatched) on here to post a single thread seeking feedback, without setting out the reasons why things were as they were, demonstrates a poor understanding of how to engage with one of BA's core constituencies, and ultimately its wider customer base.

Let's hope BA will be in a position in the medium term to allow more of that, and ensure that all BA's stakeholders feel their voice is listened to, and importantly acted upon.