FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will you *not* visit or transit a place because of its laws?
Old Aug 22, 2013, 4:26 pm
Boraxo
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
The original question is interesting. There are very few countries that I would refuse to visit, but there are quite a few more that I would never add to my bucket list, and still others that I will avoid until certain issues are sorted out. This last category might include India (treatment of women) and Egypt (unrest) which I would like to visit at some point if conditions improve.

Realistically I only have sufficient leisure travel time to visit 2-3 new countries each year, so it is going to take quite a while to work my way through the top 25, much less to hit the lower tiers.

One thing I find interesting is that my current list somwhat mirrors the Transparency International Corruption Index. Most of the top 25 are places that I want to visit or have visited and want to return. And most of the bottom 25 are of no interest (excepting Cambodia).

Originally Posted by PTravel
I will not visit Dubai because I have prescription medication that would get me arrested there.
Interesting and good to know. Do you have a link to a prohibited list? Many of us transit DXB and I had no idea that my prescription meds (for which I rarely carry a scrip) might somehow cause trouble for me.

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
As long as the UK has its "no opt out" rule we won't be spending our vacation dollars there.
That is quite silly. I have flown through the UK dozens of times and not once been asked to submit to nudoscope or even seen one in use. While it is true that there is no "opt out", your chance of getting selected (which only happens for secondary inspection) is minuscule. As opposed to KBP, where it is mandatory for everyone.

Now to be fair the UK has other problems - the well publicized 9-hour detention and harassment of a reporter's partner being one of them. While there are some countries where one does not expect everyone will be treated fairly under a rule of law, the UK is not one of them.