FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mainz vs. Frankfurt
View Single Post
Old Aug 20, 2013, 1:41 pm
goodeats21
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
WOW. ..there are a lot of threads about long layovers in FRA. Takes a while to get through them all

I have a 13 hour layover in FRA coming up next weekend. 0900-2200, assuming I don't switch flights if availability opens up.

I have pretty much decided on Mainz/Weisbaden for something to do during the day...then I see this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23723615

Germany's Deutsche Bahn warned over Mainz rail chaos
.... because of travel chaos at Mainz, a major hub on the Rhine.

For weeks Mainz station near Frankfurt has drastically reduced services because of a shortage of signal staff.
Many local trains to and from Mainz have been cut from the timetable, disrupting life for thousands of commuters.

DB has promised to get Mainz rail services back to normal before the end of this month.
Any input from someone local about the actual operation of the train service...not that the media would ever exaggerate.

Obviously, I am just interested in the S Bahn service between FRA and Mainz/Weisbaden. I have plenty of time, but just wondering how chaotic the train service really is...and if maybe a trip into Frankfurt would be a better choice?

I spent a couple days in Frankfurt 2 years ago, so would prefer to go the opposite direction if not too crazy.

Opinions?