FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Trip of a Million Lifetimes: 30 F/J Flights Around the World in 69 Days
Old Aug 20, 2013, 6:08 am
beofotch

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
9. Marriott Santiago

Marriott

Santiago, Chile

3 nights Award Redemption

Suite Upgrade

After landing from Easter Island at 7:30PM, Lady Tocqueville and I picked up our Hertz rental car at the Santiago Airport. I had booked the rental car on a discounted Delta rate, and included unlimited mileage andtolls in the Santiago area. After a short 20 minute drive, we managed to not get lost and find the Marriott Santiago. This hotel is great for having a rental car, since underground parking just beneath the hotel is free.

Our check-in was very smooth, with the front desk agent thanking me for being a Platinum Premier guest, and letting us know we had been upgraded to a suite, the biggest they have on the top floor, room 2508. We would have lounge access, and chose wine and cheese to be delivered the next day to be our check-in amenity.

This hotel was an exceptional value. We got it on Marriott pointsavers for only 20,000 points per night, less than the Marriott in Charlotte, NC even. And this was a finer hotel. Our room, on the top floor, was massive and very comfortable.

You know you are going to be in an awesome room when there are double doors to the entrance of your room. You know, just in case they need to wheel in a grand piano or something.

The view of our living room at night did not do the view justice. We had a beautiful view of the Andes, and massive windows on two sides.

This is a view of the bathroom from the living room. There is also a bathroom entrance from the master bedroom.

The master bedroom, with very comfortable king-sized bed, and another set of windows with beautiful view.

A dark view into the bathroom, which had a separate toilet, separate massive bathtub, and separate shower. Water pressure and temperature in the shower was great.

Overall, the room was fantastic, and for a Suite in a major metropolitan city, was such a value at 20,000 points per night.

I, regrettably, did not take pictures of the concierge lounge which was also excellent. The breakfast spread was fantastic, with over 30 items to choose from. This included meats, cheese, fruits, pastries, eggs, bacon, and even an espresso machine. In the evening, the snacks and drinks were great. Sparkling wine and Malbec were complimentary, with a full set of chocolates, dips, and chips. We spent alot of time in this lounge, and got great utility out of these full spreads.

After three nights, we checked out to head to the airport for our next destination, Mendoza, Argentina. It was another quick 20 minute drive to Santiago airport, a quick return for South American standards at Hertz, and we were on our way to check-in for our next flight, Santiago to Mendoza for 5 nights in Argentine wine country.