FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ChoiceHotels BRG is a scam
View Single Post
Old Aug 17, 2013, 9:52 am
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan
This sounds familiar to me. Especially Hilton use this technique to cheat their custuomers. And Marriott are also scamers.

The only non-cheaters are SPG (mostly) and Swissôtel!
I get over 95% Marriott LNF success, and that's on average doing one LNF every other week the whole year. (I actually tend to do them in clumps: A few one week, then hold off for a few weeks, then repeat. But that's because I'm often LNFing the same hotel over and over and over again. And I succeed over and over and over again, usually on the first try, almost always on the second try.) I do, however, "guide" them a lot in the Comments field on the LNF form about anything which might be the least bit confusing about the particular third-party website. (And some of those third-party sites are indeed very confusing!)

90% of my nights at Marriott are on LNF, and typically I get $150ish rates reduced to $75ish or less, and I still earn all my Marriott points and all my bonuses.

So I'm sure what "scam" you're referring to with Marriott LNF.

IME those BRGs which give you a discount (like Marriott and SPG) work more reliably than those who are trying to give you "too much" (a totally free night) like Choice and IHG.

And I'd much rather get 50% or even more off every night of the month (possible at Marriott) than get only one totally free night a month (the max in all those programs where BRG gives you free night, including at Choice). And you often don't earn points or bonuses on those totally free nights, which is another reason I prefer the programs that give you a deep discount rather than a free night.