FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tips for AA redemptions -for US member (soon to be AA)
Old Aug 17, 2013, 7:49 am
bdemaria
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
I'll do my best to answer your questions, but given the events this week I seriously question the idea that "US will soon be part of the AA program"

Originally Posted by Ansett767
1. I see AA sells miles too. Can you buy miles without having a certain % of the miles already to put towards an award? e.g. some carriers let you top up but only if you have "X" amount of the miles already.
There is an annual limit on how many miles you purchase for one account, but you don't need a minimum amount in your account.

2. I use ANA mileage account to check *A availability and find it to be very accurate. Does AA have such a system or is there a partner program I should be using to check availability?
No, AA doesn't currently have the availability to show OW availability but the Qantas FF program does.

3. Any tips/tricks?
e.g. I am based in SYD. And it is very easy to get award availability on TG flights to Europe, even at very late notice. Particularly in F and J class.
and it is very difficult to get UA/NZ/AC flights to the USA from SYD.
Any hints/tips or airlines that may have bigger inventory for award travel than others within the OW scheme?
You'll be primarily dealing w/ Qantas & other OW carriers, not AA, and will have limited options. Most of us try to avoid BA b/c their award tickets have significant fuel surcharges, fees, etc..